Tuesday 12 October 2010

My HTC HD2 (also known as HTC Leo)

My beloved HTC HD2 has sent back to the guru's at HTC for some warantee repair. After random reboots when it gets hot it was time for me to get in touch with the lovely people at HTC headquaters. After a few moments on the phone (someone elses of course!) it turns out the HD2 as well as the HTC Desire has a common fault when a certain element in the phone gets hot, it decides to reboot!

Fantastic news of course, not, just thankful its still under warantee. They happily collected the phone and its being fitted with a new motherboard amongst oneor two other items. Needless to say I am upset and more importantly astounded at the potential 3 week turn around time - my views on this were not kept hidden very well I can asure you! He quickly asured me that the turn around time is normally 7-10 days! Apparently the replacement parts are shipped over from Taiwan! He also informed me that they have a huge backlog of these repairs of some 3000 phones waiting to be completed. Great.

This means I am reverting back to everyones favourite old school business phone... yes, you've guessed it, the Nokia 6310i.

I am amazed how very little phones used to do which has left me feeling a little lost to be quite honest.However, I am about to reserect another old HTC phone though I am not sure how long I will last using it before throwing it against the wall out of frustration!

Of couse, my HD2 was no ordinary HD2 running Windows Mobile, of course not. It was running an Android OS port from the masters at XDA Developers forum. The Android OS runs from the SD card on the HD2 (also known as Leo) and runs far smoother than a factory HTC Desire. Do not forget that your device does need to be rooted and HSPL'd in order to achieve this. There is lots of info on the XDA Developers forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Next task is to re-root the HTC Touch Pro and try and find a decent ROM for it while I wait for my little HD2 to come back. Wish me luck!

1 comment: