Thursday 14 October 2010

Battles with the HTC Touch Pro

Whilst the beloved HTC HD2 is being repaired I am having a play with the HTC Touch Pro. Firstly what a heap of junk in all honesty but still like to have a horse around with these things.

htc-touch-pro-1I found a half decent Windows Mobile ROM for it that actually isn’t too bad and things do actually work when you click them on the screen. Well, I thought it was half decent. Its this one http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=603041 from my friends at http://forum.xda-developers.com. The nice thing about it is that it has no Sense in it which makes less bloaty and more responsive as an OS. 

The next task is to get Android running on it. A task that would seem slightly more tricky than I first thought.  I did find a helpful tutorial on completing this which included formatting and creating 3 specific partitions on the memory card (FAT32, ext2 and a linuxswap).  Once downloading, unzipping and copying the contents of the Android rom onto the memory I had to run the installer and then run Haret. All very geeky and too boring to go into too much detail.

Needless to say that Android is running but it has its flaws and drawbacks on this particular device and really can’t be bothered to use it. As an example, when I attempted to make a phone call, there was no sound at all, it didn’t make the call and got stuck, then it took 30seconds to end the call. So glad I wasted an hour or so on that! This reminds me, how is my HD2 warrantee repair getting on?

No comments:

Post a Comment