Thursday 14 October 2010

D-Link DIR-615 Install

We all know how I like to waste my evenings completing geeky tasks. Well tonight's nonsense was  based around configuring the D-Link DIR-615 that came free with my Virgin Media 50MB broadband! My current wireless N router (cheap Belkin) works absolutely fine but thought I should use the provided hardware. The 615 seems to get half decent reviews too.

It seems to be quite a basic looking product with nothing interesting giong on apart from the 2 arials sticking out of it. Installation was via the CD running through a basic wizard which was fairly helpful. It seemed to take ages to finish my setup with all the settings I required with regards to allowing certain ports in and out and changing the default LAN configuration.
Don't make the mistake I made - I didn't realise that the MAC Address filtering included the wired devices as well as the wireless devices, this threw me for a few moments. Infact I ended up locking myself out of the router and had to do a hard reset which obviously drove me to a strong drink, well, a strong coffee! Anyways, she's plumbed in and as desired and will see how it goes over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment